Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Recipe Thursday!

So I've tried quite a few new recipe's within the last couple of weeks and I have to say about 50% are amazing and 50% not so much. I guess that's bound to happen when your trying new things!

Since fall is in the air, I've decided to post a recipe that goes along with the cool air and crisp nights. If your like me, when the weather starts to change, so do my cravings. When its chilly outside nothing is better then some good comfort food! Yum :)

Probably the most common dinner in our house is spaghetti & meat sauce. Its Clayton's all time favorite food and whether we are stuck and can't think of what to make for dinner or in a hurry, Clayton always suggests spaghetti. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy my pasta, but over time spaghetti gets old and although we try and change it up by having it different ways, I just cant help but feel guilty eating it all.the.time!

Enter Fall & Squash...

I'm sure every one's heard of Spaghetti Squash, but have you ever had one? If not, go out and buy one right now, it's the perfect time.


These ones are from Sobeys and were labelled "Spaghetti Squash", but as you can see, they are a buttery yellow color & have a nice oval shape. I think each one cost roughly 2-3 dollars.

Here is my healthy fall take on:

Spaghetti & Meat Sauce

I think everyone is well aware of how to make the original, so I am focusing solely on the preparation of the squash.


Start by cutting the squash in half & scooping out the seeds. You will notice the smell and seeds are similar to a pumpkin and that gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside....Halloween :)


Once you have scooped all the innards out, I like to drizzle some olive oil, salt & pepper on top and place the 2 halves on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Place in the oven at 350 for around 45 minutes.


Remove from oven & once cool, use a fork and scrape the pulp out. You will see it comes out looking just like spaghetti (hence where the name comes from I'm assuming). I scoop mine right onto my plate. Top with meat sauce & Parmesan and enjoy!


To me, this is such a wonderful alternative. I feel so much healthier and lighter after dinner & do not miss the actual pasta in this dish what so ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment