Pages

Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Green Dessert

Every family has their staple dessert and ours is no different. This dessert is known in our family as the "Green Dessert" and I give full credit to my Auntie Brenda for the creation. I have no idea where the original recipe came from or what the original name was, however if you say "Green Dessert" everyone knows what your talking about.

I have since shared this recipe with my in laws and it has become a family favorite of theirs as well. Clayton requested this as his birthday cake this year and I decided then to write a blog post and share this wonderful easy and super yummy delight with you. At the same time I decided that I was going to rename the "Green Dessert" and it is now known as the "Roughrider Delight" (GO RIDERS!!!!)

Anyone who knows me, knows that I dislike following recipes', I'd much rather wing it! I will do my best at giving you accurate information on this one but feel free to experiment!

What you'll need:

1 box Graham Cracker Crumbs
2 tbsp Melted Butter
1 container of Cool whip
1/2 cup of icing sugar
1 pkg of cream cheese
1 large package of Instant Vanilla Pudding
1 large package of Instant Pistachio Pudding
2 cups of milk*
 
*depends which brand of pudding you use
 
Layer #1-Graham Cracker Crust
The bottom layer is the common Graham Cracker Crust used in a zillion recipes and so I am not posting directions on how to make it. If you have no idea, they are usually on the box and involve mixing the crumbs with melted butter and then pressing them into the bottom of the pan (just wing it). I like to bake mine for 10mins to have it slightly crispy but if you do this make sure to let it cool before adding the next layer.


mmmm!

While the crust is cooling, you can start on the middle layer. In a large bowl, whip together the Cool Whip, Cream Cheese & Icing sugar.....make sure you test this layer before spreading it on top of the crust ;)




Next, mix together the vanilla & pistachio puddings using HALF the milk that is required to make regular pudding. I'm pretty sure that works out to be 2 cups instead of the regular 4, but whatever your package says, cut it in half!



Spread this layer on top of the previous layer, making sure to cover all the white!


The "Roughrider Delight"

Voila! The finished product! Mmmmm so freaken good and if your smart (which I know you are because your reading my blog), you will have used 2 different bowls to mix the white and green layers and you can now sit back and dip your finger into one and then the other to have a sneak peak taste of this delight! ENJOY~!



3 comments: